Saturday, April 26, 2014

TAYLOR Ancestry

Taylor Family
Part 1:  This was really interesting to me and made me think of Mom and Auntie DeEtte and all their genealogy work years ago.  Before I left on this trip I wrote down a few things that I thought I'd look at while on this trip - all in Oklahoma.  My Grandad Taylor came from Oklahoma to Oregon during the Great Depression.

Part 2:  Scott and I stay 5 miles from Benton, Illinois and this is the birthplace of my great grandfather, William Henry Taylor and great great grandfather Isham Cotton Taylor.  Now this is all I know... so I google Isham Cotton Taylor and discover he's buried in Benton, Franklin County, Illinois.

Lieut. Isham C. Taylor, Company I, 10th Illinois Infantry.  Yes, he served in the Civil War from September 1862 until May 1863, then Company I consolidated with Company C, and after that I don't know what happened to him.  He mustered in on the same day with 3 other Taylor's, Daniel and Eli both died in battle outside of Nashville in January 1863, and Richard, moved to invalid corp in February 1864.  Don't know if they're related but will be interesting to see if I can find out.


Gertrude Waldo Taylor, 1878-1881, daughter of Isham Cotton Taylor and Rebecca J. Taylor.

 
Wish I knew the whole story here...  Waldo is the married name of Rebecca J. Taylor (her first husband) and this was the second marriage for both.  Isham was 49 when he married Rebecca.  At 17, he married my great great grandmother, Sarah Neal.  She died in 1873 but I didn't find where she is buried.

Isham C. Taylor, June 11, 1826, September 23, 1901.

Part 3:  Discovered Isham Cotton Taylor's parents!  Elijah Taylor (1797-1878) and Sarah J. "Sally" Webb Taylor (1801-1876).  They both died in Franklin Co., Illinois.   I'm going to have to do some research when I get home!

1 comment:

  1. could you email me mhmcfly@gmail.com about taylor information if you still use this?

    ReplyDelete